Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Insert witty pun about rain and umbrellas and the kindness of strangers

Today it rained really hard - just as I was getting out of the car, retrieving my bags from the boot and trying to cross the incredibly busy road outside my flat. I was drenched. And as I was standing there, waiting for a gap in the traffic, I realised I should move slightly or else I would have to step in a deep puddle when I finally could cross the road. In doing so, I nearly bumped into a man with an umbrella walking along the pavement. I apologised, he smiled, we exchanged an 'urgh' comment on the weather and he carried on walking while I carried on waiting.

He'd got halfway up the road when he turned around and came back. He said "Are you going to be waiting long? Would you like my umbrella? I've got another one at home." It was so unexpected, it took me a while to understand what he meant. It seems that he was offering to give me his umbrella so I wouldn't get any wetter, thinking I was waiting for someone (rather than just being really crap at crossing roads). He was being kind. He was willing to get wet so I - a complete stranger - wouldn't get any wetter. I have actual friends who wouldn't do that...

Or, of course, he could have been a pusher trying to get me hooked on his 'free' umbrella...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home