Friday, July 11, 2008

Recommendation


It's been quite a while since I read a book that got me totally engrossed, but I've just finished The Kite Runner and I couldn't put it down. In fact, I read the second half in one sitting. I know I'm a bit behind the times with this one (it's already been made into a film!), but if you haven't read it, you should give it a go.

It follows the story of Amir, a young boy growing up in Afghanistan, and then his later life having escaped to America following the Russian invasion. Something happens in Amir's childhood that colours the rest of his life and when, years later, he is called back to his homeland, it's a chance to put things right.

It's difficult to describe the plot in much detail without giving too much away, but it's a great story and gives an enlightening insight into the recent turbulent history of Afghanistan. Oh, and it made me cry twice, which may or may not serve as an endorsement...

1 Comments:

At 1:37 pm, Blogger chux said...

haven't they made this into a movie?? sure I heard something about it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home