Saturday, January 24, 2009

Twitting the night away

I've resurrected my Twitter, er, account? presence? Whatever it should be called...

After the plane crash landed onto (into?) the Hudson river, I got a small flurry of Twitter followers. Evidently, the news of the crash was communicated quicker via Twitter than through the usual news channels. I find this hard to envisage, but maybe I'm still not 'getting' Twitter. Anyway, I started updating it again and found myself back where I was before (when I stopped) wondering whether my 'tweets' should have any relationship to my Facebook status. Or if the dullness of what I'm doing at any particular moment in time is just a waste of virtual space, of no interest to anybody.

However, after Twitter got quite a mention on Jonathan Ross's first post-Sachsgate TV show, I can see its popularity really taking off. I thought I'd follow Stephen Fry (his number of followers has risen by more than 10,000 in the last 12 hours or so), and Wossy (that's his Twitter name...), just out of interest. Then I got a bit excited about 'following' famous people, so I tracked down some more. It's like a completely acceptable form of stalking. And it seems that everyone I'm following so far makes a point of replying to all the replies they get to their 'tweets'. So it's better than stalking because you can have a conversation with your stalkee. They become your friend. Interesting...

I haven't yet seen any breaking news on Twitter before I saw it anywhere else. Though yesterday I did find out that it had snowed in Luton 5 hours previously...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home