Saturday, February 25, 2006

Innocent Pleasures

Shredding
I have recently bought a shredder. It makes throwing away rubbish that bit more fun. It makes lots of noise and makes me feel like a bona fide crime fighter (because the Daily Mail tells me that identity theft is really bad, and I've seen Face/Off so I think they're probably right. However, they were wrong about chip and PIN day bringing retail chaos to our high streets - but I digress...). I don't know that my shredder would be incredibly effective at protecting my identity from a determined identithief armed with plenty of sticky tape - it was only a £7.99 Tesco Value shredder, after all - but I do know that I'm really looking forward to shredding my ten-year old bank statements when I clear out my filing cupboard. Which leads me neatly on to...

Stationery
I love stationery. Last week I discovered some new (to me) Bic ballpoint pens. They're just like normal Bic ballpoint pens, but they've got that rubbery, non-slip bit just where you hold them to write. They're called Cristal Grip. Ooh lovely. I bought 3 of them. They're great. And I love Post-It Notes that aren't yellow. I bought a pack of Post-It page markers in bright colours. They're great. I haven't used them yet, but when I do, it'll be great. And I've got a really nice set of highlighter pens. Eight different colours. Aah. And don't get me started on Filofax inserts!

Barry Manilow
I make no apology for it - singing and dancing along to Copacabana in the privacy of my own home is surely a victimless crime. Well, maybe my upstairs neighbours would disagree, but they've got a drum kit, so my conscience is clear.

Candlelight
Sitting quietly, TV off, son tucked up in bed, strategically-placed candles (including Muji jasmine tea-scented candle), lovely cup of tea, Classic FM Relaxing Classics CD compilation playing (I'm no connoisseur!), not thinking about anything but the moment...

Getting totally absorbed in a film
Most recently Brokeback Mountain. Others include (in no particular order...): American Beauty; Memento; Donnie Darko; Moulin Rouge; Pulp Fiction.

5 Comments:

At 10:04 pm, Blogger Max Robespierre said...

Barry Manilow im sorry i have to take issue with that ;) only joking

 
At 11:12 pm, Blogger chux said...

Barry Manilow. I except that we all have a singer or group that oozes with cheese but against all of our instincts we cannot help but love. I am such a sucker for Neil Diamond. 'Love on the Rocks' for instance makes me cheerfully melancholy. The Jazz Singer is one of the 10 CD's i'd take with me onto a desert island. But it gets worse. The Bee Gees!! I just cannot help myself, its not as if I just like their disco stuff. I even enjoy some of the songs they did in the 60's (such as New York Mining Disaster)
Do me a favor keep this stuff under your hat as I dont want it to hit my street cred! :)

 
At 12:00 am, Blogger jomoore said...

I once had tickets to a Neil Diamond concert, but couldn't go because it was on the day my son was due to be born. It was a tough call, though...

I have to admit there's a whole playlist on my iTunes that I don't share at work (Carpenters, Glen Campbell, Busted... :/)

 
At 9:56 am, Blogger Chris said...

You'll have to get a hamster or a guinea pig or some small furry animal now so that you can recycle your shreddings.

I also LOVE stationery. One of my recent disappointments is that they have closed the big stationery supplier in Staines and replaced it with TK Maxx.

Barry Manilow is GrrrEAT!! (and I'll fight anyone who disagrees). So are The Eagles, The Hollies, my compilation Country Music disc, Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka and lots of others. But sorry, Chux, the Bee Gees don't do it for me.

A film I couldn't get totally absorbed in last night: The Terminal with Tom Hanks. Found it unbelievable and silly.

 
At 11:39 pm, Blogger Delmonti said...

< I choose not to comment on the Barry Manilow thing >

Shredding.... hmmmm. Now, I decided to go all healthy with mine 'cos I have to wind a handle to make it go..... kinda reminds me of Camblewick Green at the end when whats-his-name winds the credits forward.

Stationery:

Oh Oh.... I'm sooo glad you've come out of the closet on this one... I'm also an officiado of the posh pen. I've got a thing for Gel Pens at the moment..... they glide they do.... Hmmmmmmmmm. Have you seen those pens with the offset nib? OH...BAD BOY, DIRTY BOY, IN YOUR BED....!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home