Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Just finised reading...


Pies and Prejudice

by Stuart Maconie


I always enjoy listening to Stuart Maconie on Radio 2, with Mark Radcliffe, so I thought I'd give his book a go.

It's part travelogue, part history, part love story. He never preaches about how great it is up North, nor how soft us Southerners are. Nor does he paint the North as grim. He tells it as he finds it, with a few historic embellishments and some anecdotes to add colour.
I felt educated by this book and was left with a desire to read up on some of the more interesting bits, and to make a point to follow in some of his footsteps.

1 Comments:

At 8:47 am, Blogger Delmonti said...

I seem to be exactly 180 degrees away from books right now....

I know I should have some comment about oop norf..... but I dont right now. Probably cos my old home has changed so much that it stopped feeling like "home" a long time ago.... The only thing soft about southerners is the working environment, you lot are hard as nails in every other way.

In Billy Elliot (the film), he dances on top of my granmar's old coalhouse..... which eveyone knew was highly dangerous as you could fall through and would ALWAYS result in a clip round the lughole.

I'm going back there in a fe weeks to take some pictures before there's nothing left.... actually, there's been "nothing left" for over a decade for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home