Friday, September 25, 2009

Good hair day

I think it's fair to say that I don't blog very often because most of the time, when I think of something to write, I'm complaining or being cynical. Much as I enjoy a good moan, in my heart I'm an 'if-you-can't-say-something-nice,-say-nothing' sort of person. I genuinely believe in the power of positive thinking, even though it's not always my first instinct.

But today, saying something nice and thinking positively are no trouble. Today is one of those days when all's right in my world, even the stuff that's wrong.

It would be great to know why some days are like this, but who knows? The weather helps - today is a bright, sunny, not-a-cloud-in-the-sky, nearly-autumn day. But so was yesterday, and I didn't feel like this. It's Friday, of course, but it's Friday this time every week...

The day started as normal - my alarm went off at 7am and I 'snoozed' it 3 times, so I got up at 7:27. (I have no idea why a 'snooze' is 9 minutes, but it is!) Thomas has his alarm set for 7:30, so this means I get to wake him up just before his alarm every morning. This gives him the impression that he gets a sneaky lie-in between me waking him and him getting up when his alarm goes off. I don't think he's realised that it's only 2 minutes...

I'd worked a couple of extra hours during the week, so I decided that I'd have a shorter day today and treat myself to lunch at the Wimpy. I even remembered to take my book with me so I didn't have to resort to buying Heat magazine (which is full of 'celebrities' I've never heard of and makes me feel about 100!).

My journey into work didn't start well when someone pulled out in front of me on the roundabout, then failed to pull away. I had to slam on my brakes, which would normally have left me cross and muttering. However, the driver sheepishly waved his hand in a 'sorry' and, when I pulled up next to him at the traffic lights, I turned and smiled and he let me go first. Rainy Days and Mondays was playing on the radio at the time - it being neither, I was free to happily sing along without getting 'down', and anyway, you try being grumpy to the sound of The Carpenters! (Except possibly Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft...)

I was on my own in the office today and had a really productive morning. I had all the windows open and the radio turned up, and every song that was played was summery and upbeat. I even managed not to forget to drink my tea, which I usually do at least once a day!

I almost managed to leave work when I'd intended, and was good and properly hungry when I got to the Wimpy. Lovely Wimpy man (not his real name...) knew my order (I only go in there once or twice a month at most - honest - but he always remembers!) and my cup of coffee and glass of water was on my table even before I found my place in my book. My book was absorbing, my food was delicious and when I'd finished eating he brought me another cup of coffee - on the house! To cap it all, they were playing The Beach Boys - more can't-fail-to-make-you-feel-good music.

Even Tesco couldn't spoil my great mood: I bought some new (drinking) glasses which were a huge bargain; I remembered to buy something trivial that I'd been forgetting to buy for about two months; I got the last two packs of yummy spare ribs; the checkout lady was friendly and chatty.

So now I'm home to an empty house. Thomas has gone fishing, apparently. That's what his note said, anyway. I'm assuming that he's actually gone fishing, rather than leaving me mildly profound notes... Such is my mood that I'm picturing him Huckleberry Finn-like, bare-footed and straw-hatted. Anyone who knows Thomas will appreciate how far removed from reality this picture is - he's more 'EMO' than 'Huck' - but I'm choosing to think of him enjoying the carefree childhood that I'd wish for him, rather than dwelling on the fact that I don't quite know where he is, and he can't really swim...

So, that's my day. I have my iTunes 'Happy' playlist on random. I am untroubled by the tidying, cleaning and decorating that need doing. I may take advantage of the remaining sunshine and sit outside with my book for a while.

I'll leave you with these wise words from the great Hanson: "Mmm bop, ba duba dop, ba duba dop, ba duba dop, ba duba dop, ba duba dop, ba du." I think we can all relate to that...

2 Comments:

At 11:09 pm, Blogger kittycakes said...

so true. why are some days like that when others fall so flat having the same basic ingredients? it's weird. I have made it a point to try to be friendly to everyone over the last couple of weeks, even the people who typically drive me crazy. interestingly, and maybe those wiser than I will be unsurprised by this, it works! i am generally happier and in a better mood just by being nicer myself. regardless of how they behave (though obviously they're more likely to be nicer if I am nice...). When I struggle (as occasionally I do, I just tell myself to channel Dan. who is never really not nice.)

 
At 11:55 pm, Blogger chux said...

yer its strange how some days are just great like that.

My friday wasnt anywhere near as good as my thursday this week. Friday I had a mtg on the phone with the boss and he's just left me feeling mad for the weekend. I reckon he booked it on friday on purpose. mmm bop flop top plop i'm trying! he he

 

Post a Comment

<< Home