Wednesday, March 01, 2006

N-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-now! Baby give it up...

So - give it up for Lent! This has to be a much better tactic than New Year's Resolutions, because:

a) You've got a time limit. Come Easter, you know that your deprivation can end (if you want it to).
b) No 'first day of the year' type pressure. OK, so this year the first day of Lent happens to fall on the first of the month, but that's just a coincidence, so it doesn't count. And it's a Wednesday. Middle of the week. Perfect.
c) Nobody is willing you to fail. Nobody ever believes anybody will keep a New Year's Resolution. But giving something up for Lent? If someone offers you chocolate, you can just say "I gave that up for Lent" and they won't question it. If you say "My New Year's Resolution is to stop eating chocolate," they'll cajole you into 'just a square' of Galaxy, or sneak Maltesers into your crisp packet when you're not looking.

So, I decided to give up chocolate and dairy products. However, I will not stop having milk in my tea because that would mean giving up tea, and that's just too much to ask. But I'm making the rules here, so there. No - I'll just not eat big lumps of cheese. That kind of thing.

Oh, and I accidentally had some chocolate today. So I'm starting tomorrow. 2nd March - much more random...

2 Comments:

At 7:45 am, Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I've given up computer games (they were seriously taking over my life) and now on day 7, it is a battle. I haven't passed through the barrier yet: I still want to play and get twitchy fingers sitting near the computer - which is what I do all day - so it's hard.

I've done the chocolate giving-up before but adding diary products - wow! Good luck.

 
At 7:14 pm, Blogger MaryB said...

OK, a couple of tough ones. Over-thinking/thinking bad thoughts about one particular person (this takes real discipline, I tell 'ya!). And dairy. What is it about dairy this year, I wonder? Fortunately, I commit the ultimate UK sin and drink my tea sans all (no milk, no sugar), so Lent won't be impacting my tea-drinking habit.

Good luck to all -

 

Post a Comment

<< Home