Sunday, August 13, 2006

Spoke too soon...

So last night I made sure everything was ready for my madly early, though very late departure to Geneva.

I had a text from my friend to say that the taxi was booked to take us to the airport at 4.15am. His house is about 20 minutes' drive, so allowing half an hour (just in case of... something) to get there, plus waking up, getting up, ablutions, re-packing everything that's become unpacked over the last 2 days and any other unforeseen eventualities, I set my alarm for 3am. Finding it impossible to go to bed too early, I decided that 9pm was about right. I checked on ba.com just before turning in and there was my flight. Estimated departure time 0630. Lovely. All but two of the Geneva flights had left on Saturday. Most delayed, but the last one only by 4 minutes, so everything looked like it was getting back to something like normality. So I went to bed.

Twenty minutes later, my phone rang - the flight's been cancelled. Nooooo! I got up and checked the internet (not that I didn't believe him, you understand, but I needed to see for myself in case he'd looked at Genoa instead of Geneva, or yesterday instead of tomorrow - it can happen!), and by then all of Sunday's flights to Geneva had been cancelled, along with all other European flights out of Terminal 4. I was cross. He was cross. Fortunately, he's much better at being cross than I am (i.e. no sulking or whining or moaning or other childishness), so he phoned up to check if anything could be done - they could get us on another flight at 3pm on Monday, which would get us there just in time to come home again - and got our money refunded.

So, I'm not out of pocket, and I didn't have to spend the weekend sitting on an airport floor. And that's as much 'looking on the bright side' I can do just now...

Now I have a 'bonus' day off, with absolutely no plans whatsoever. What should I do with it? I will eat Toblerones and fondue, Swiss cheese and rosti. I will go to Swiss Cottage and buy a watch. I will speak French (badly) and drive on the wrong side of the road. What would you do?

3 Comments:

At 12:39 pm, Blogger chux said...

glad i didn't send a jolly upbeat reply to the previous blog after reading this. Sorry it hasnt worked out, bet you really needed a nice break with good friends too!!

Go and have a massage and eat some Lindt!!!

Glad your posting again! I always look forward to what you have to say next!

 
At 3:17 pm, Blogger jomoore said...

Thanks, Chuckie.

You're right - what I really need is chocolate!

 
At 8:23 am, Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Nothing is as bad when you have chocolate.

Really sorry about your weekend; hope you manage to rearrange it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home