Sunday, October 01, 2006

The irony of it - a paper anniversary in an online world

I've been blogging now for just over a year. Fifty-odd posts, so that averages just less than one a week. Not bad, actually, considering I don't have a lot to say!

Reading some random blogs, a lot of people write about religion and politics and have a cause to espouse. I have no such strong feelings, or I'm not eloquent enough to express my views in that way. Or I'm not passionate enough. Or I'm not angry enough.

So I'll stick with my quiet unobtrusive musings, if that's OK with you. I'll try not to get cross, but if I do, you should know that I'll generally be over it by the time I hit 'Publish Post'.

Speaking of which, I am thinking of calling Hellmann's and complaining about their squeezy mayonnaise bottle. Really, you only get about a third of the mayonnaise out before you have to unscrew the lid and use a teaspoon to get the rest. And they were on special offer, so I've got two of them! Aargh!

(In fact, having gone to their website to get the links above, I've actually written to them to let them know how dissatisfied I am. I'm expecting a year's worth of free mayonnaise - in jars, of course - at the very least. I'll let you know how I get on.)

I've often thought that I fancy writing to companies and give them my opinion of their products and services, in a Henry Root stylee. Perhaps I will start clicking 'Contact Us' more often and see what happens. Watch this space...

And finally, the thing that's taken most time when writing my posts, is thinking up a title. This post, for example - I finished it 2 hours ago, but I'm still trying to come up with the perfect heading. I wonder how it will turn out...

4 Comments:

At 7:39 am, Blogger petercmoore said...

It's an excellent title!

 
At 9:01 am, Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Yes, a great title and a great post.

Marmite is now available in squeezy jars too.

My older son is a fan of writing to manufacturers after receiving a whole selection of chocolates from one. I think that was when he complimented them too.

My great-aunt wrote to thank Tony Blair for the pensioner's winter payment of £200 and had a personally signed Christmas card from him. So you probably want to be careful who you write to!

 
At 5:23 pm, Blogger chux said...

my first anniversary is coming up in
November. I was thinking about celebrating it with pint of shandy singing 'Donald Wheres Your Trousers!'. Either that or another post! It'll have to be a goody i guess, but they just dont grow on trees do they!?

Interesting what you say about writing to complain etc. My mother inlaw gets on her high hnorse often and sends notes to companies about their products. What makes me laugh even though they give her vouchers and freebies she still doesnt let it go. This is a dodgy compulsion of hers along with buying handbags and taking them back a week later.

congratulations on the year and have a shandy on me !!

 
At 3:44 pm, Blogger MaryB said...

I'm with you on what I post about on my blog. I decided early on that I wouldn't go political or religious or fall into the ooh-here's-all-the-stuff-I'm-going-through-with-menopause. Seems like there are more than enough of those blogs out there - what more could I add?

Granted once in a while, I touch on all of the above, but I'm usually random as heck (as you well know). And if you notice my bloglist - most of the folks there do the same. I love reading whatever runs through people's brains on any given day.

Sorry about the Hellman's - that is frustrating. In the past, if you wrote in saying you liked or disliked something about a product, you'd get - say - free samples or something. But the last few times I've done that - nada.

Happy Paper, Jo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home