Wednesday, March 22, 2006

It's like newspaper and vinegar on a stick!

http://www.budockvean.co.uk
I have started 'garden leave' - I only have to go into the office for a couple of meetings and, hopefully a few interviews for a fabulous new job - so I thought I should do something outdoorsy. I was pondering this on this bright and sunny morning, when I realised that it looked a bit dull and overcast. Aah - my windows! They were practically opaque, so I thought I'd do something about it. Obviously I have many cleaning products for the job (see earlier post), but I hate cleaning windows almost as much as I hate, er, getting wet and mucky in the freezing cold and trying to clean glass without ending up with a smeary mess.

Someone (possibly my grandmother) once told me that the only way to get smear-free windows is to use newspaper and vinegar. But hey, why do something cheaply when I can use fancy cleaning products and Bounty ultra-absorbent kitchen towel? Then I remembered: last year I bought myself a window scrubber (sort of like a synthetic sheepskin pad with a handle) and a squeegee. Why didn't my grandmother ever tell me about squeegees? Why didn't anyone ever tell me about squeegees? Best thing ever! Smear-free windows. No soggy sleeves. And windows I can actually see through. Let the sun shine in (cue the rain)!

Update: as I've been asked, the photo is of part of the garden of the Budock Vean Hotel in Cornwall.

5 Comments:

At 12:01 am, Blogger petercmoore said...

I used vinegar and newspaper when I did our windows last year.

Actually, I used Windowlene and newspaper because the only vinegar we had was the special balsamic vinegar which is far too expensive to waste on household cleaning chores.

Whatever next? Polishing floors with cheese? Sucking dirt up through macaroni instead of using the Dyson?

It's madness I tell you!

 
At 12:09 am, Blogger petercmoore said...

PS.

Where's the photo of?

[If that's at all grammatical.]

 
At 1:16 am, Blogger jomoore said...

I've just finished cleaning my kitchen floor with wafer thin honey roast ham and Worcester sauce. (Don't try it - it's rubbish!)

It's the only picture of a lovely garden in the sunshine that I had to hand. It's the view from the golf course of the Budock Vean Hotel near Falmouth in Cornwall. The path leads down to a private shore with a sunhouse where you can take tea. A wonderful place. Go there. (I'll try to put a link to their website on the picture, if I can figure out how...)

 
At 12:32 pm, Blogger Liz Hinds said...

A friend of mine, while on holiday in Tenerife, saw some magnetic window cleaners on sale in the market. Entranced by the idea of cleaning both sides of the window at once, (and becaue he is Gadgetman)he bought one. Only to discover they don't work on his double glazing!

 
At 10:44 am, Blogger chux said...

i was wondering about that picture for a while there. I thought blimey this bird's loaded! But of course I found out the truth as I read more. (or is that moore - ahem sorry) Anyways enjoy the garden leave whilst it lasts, if the weather picks up you might even get a chance to do some gardening

 

Post a Comment

<< Home