Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Let's just do the paperwork...

Here's a thing...

I have no real sentimental attachment to material things. If my house was on fire I would grab: Thomas (obviously); my purse; my keys; my phone; a coat - all but the first one for practial reasons.

However, until a couple of hours ago, I had every payslip from the last ten years. Every bank, credit card, pension and mortgage statement. Every cheque stub. Every gas, electricity and phone bill.

I'm now halfway through shredding the lot. I was going to keep a year's worth, but I gritted my teeth and got rid of it all! Now, don't tell me I should keep everything for 7 years, or something. It's too late!

Rest assured, lest you think I'm some kind of crazy hoarder, I clear out my newspapers once a week and I don't keep my wee in jam jars (you just have to click on this link, by the way, if you have the same childish sense of humour as me...)!

5 Comments:

At 3:22 pm, Blogger chux said...

the sensible me would say "oh no dont do it!!" , but nah stuff it, I understand you just want it clear!

oh btw got a copy of your P60 for last year? my mate in the tax office wondered. No? why not :)

 
At 4:18 pm, Blogger Chris said...

Here's a use for a Chux Pad put one under the jam jar - just in case of splashing or overflow.

Word verification is 'eoiee', which is what you'd say if you did.

 
At 9:28 pm, Blogger jomoore said...

I'm proud to say, Chux, that I have all my P60s from forever (and even a few P11Ds), and I tallied all my payslips with them before the shredding operation. Ooh - I live on the edge, me!

 
At 12:34 am, Blogger chux said...

you're right I was nearly swept along with the excitement there!! :)

I bet it was satisfying shredding all that though. Did you know you can compost shredded paper? No, well believe me you can and I do!! now beat that you mad lady you!! :)

he he nice to visit again
Chux

 
At 10:10 pm, Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I had just finished a wonderful shredding session in work when my boss said, 'You didn't shred any financial papers, did you? You know you have to keep those for ten thousand years.'
'Me shred financial papers? What do you think I am?'

I can stick them together again; it's not a problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home