Sunday, October 08, 2006

How was your weekend?

It's not often I have a nice afternoon's shopping these days. Something about the thought of dragging Thomas round the shops, sighing and whining, that I just can't face. Which is why I tend to buy most of my clothes at Tesco while he's looking at the PS2 games I won't buy him.

However, today we struck a bargain. I agreed to take him to Woking, to Games Workshop, to spend the £5 that he found in his bedroom yesterday. (If you know anything about Games Workshop, incidentally, you'll know that £5 doesn't buy anything, so I agreed to lend him another fiver in lieu of the chores he's going to do this week. Yes, yes, I know - but it's a small price to pay for a harmonious weekend!) In addition to taking him to this Warhammer wonderland, I also agreed to act interested and help him decide what to buy. In return for all of this magnanimity, he was to show no signs of impatience while I browsed in Claire's Accessories, or pull faces when I made a beeline for a pair of shoes I fancied.

Some additional acts of bribery (a grande hot chocolate in Starbucks and a new Fighting Fantasy book) meant that I could take my time choosing fancy teabags.

To top it all off, I finally took the plunge and bought myself a new camera. Nothing fancy - in fact just the more recent model of my current camera - but if I went for something expensive and complicated, I would spend too much time worrying about losing it. I've managed to get some really nice pictures with my humble Fuji Finepix, so I'll save the purchase of a digital SLR for another day.

So, all in all, a very pleasant Sunday. And, if you're interested, Thomas chose some Warhammer Space Marine motorbikes and Bloodbones, the latest Fighting Fantasy.

Oh, and nearly everywhere we went, I managed to take advantage of '3 for 2' offers - I got a free book, a free packet of teabags and a free necklace. Not bad going.

We rounded the day off with roast pork and garlic roast potatoes.

So with such a lovely day, added to a nice lazy Saturday, and Strictly Come Dancing back on the telly, a splendid weekend. I hope yours was too!

"Due to the number of people bored last Sunday, next Sunday will be cancelled." M*A*S*H (1972)

4 Comments:

At 9:35 pm, Blogger petercmoore said...

Ooh! I'm thinking of getting a new camera. My one's great at wide-angle stuff, but not very good at zooming up close.

The one I'm looking at is, coincidentally, the one that Delmonti Dave has upgraded to. And he's keen to do a photography course, as am I.

Blimey - we'd look like some sort of freaky siamese-photo-twins...

 
At 12:55 pm, Blogger chux said...

PT - that thought is making me feel rather sick!!

Jo - Woking of all places? When will you all learn that the only great place to go is Guildford! If you dont believe me read my last post. They'd have had a greater choice for both of you and i've heard although unconfirmed that ALL the shops are doing 5 for 2's! The camera is nice and compact!! Don't listen to your brother who is obviously suffering from camera envy so much that he wants to buy a bigger one! :)

 
At 3:43 pm, Blogger MaryB said...

Children! Children! Such fuss over a camera.

Jo, good way to handle your outing. One thing I learned from motherhood was "pick your battles." Trade-offs work.

 
At 12:24 am, Blogger jomoore said...

I did think about getting the more zoomy camera - but it had a big sticky out thing at the front, and that's no good for tucking away and not annoying me. I've done some extensive research (well, I asked one of my friends) and we decided that boys like having a camera that needs a bag and lots of bits and pieces and a lens cover...

Chuckie - I love Guildford - really I do. Guildford even beats Kingston. But I save Guildford for lovely shopping with my Mum. A quick dash in and out, not expecting to enjoy it - that's Woking.

You're right, Mary - 'choose your battles' is probably the best piece of advice one could hope to give or receive. When Thomas learns it, we'll have a peaceful household!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home