Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Theatrical Contrasts

On Saturday I had the privilege of watching Ottershaw Players' production of Whose Life Is It Anyway? at the Rhoda McGaw Theatre in Woking. I'm no drama critic, but this was one of the most enthralling productions I have seen. In a strong cast, the 'stand out' (excuse the pun!) performance was from Graham Collier, playing Ken Harrison - a man paralysed from the neck down, fighting for his right to a dignified death. Graham's skill in conveying the pain - and the humour - of his situation, whilst only able to move his head, was mesmerising. He made me laugh and moved me to tears. The 'fully mobile' supporting cast complemented Graham's performance perfectly.

On Tuesday, whilst on my mini-holiday in Bath, I went to see a professional production of Noël Coward's Hay Fever at the city's Theatre Royal. What a contrast! Stephanie Beacham over-acted (as demanded by the role) magnificently. Christopher Timothy wore a bad wig. And the more good-looking but less successful brother from Butterflies stiffened his upper lip admirably throughout. It was a very entertaining couple of hours with no tugs on the conscience, or moral dilemmas to wrestle with.

2 Comments:

At 4:36 pm, Blogger MaryB said...

Jo, I know you meant "Whose LIFE Is It Anyway," but after reading your review, I so wish I could've shared the play-watching experience with you! (I've asked Pete to send airfare but have received nothing so far. Hmph!)

BTW, has your ma given up blogging? Social calendar too full? Well, whatever the reason, give her my regards.

 
At 9:09 pm, Blogger jomoore said...

D'oh! Thanks, Mary. Mistake corrected.

Mum's been such a busy bee lately - I'll pass on your best - I'm sure she'll be back blogging before long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home