Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Sit up straight! No slouching!


I'm overdue for an eye test so, because we get eye test vouchers at work, I sent an email requesting a voucher. I got an email in return with a lengthy document advising me how to avoid RSI and Work-Related-Upper-Limb-Disorders, and a Health & Safety assessment form to fill in. OK, I thought, but I just want an eye test voucher [sigh]. I filled in the form - yes, the lighting is fine; yes, I know how to adjust my chair; yes, my workspace is sufficiently spacious; no, I'm not unduly disturbed by noise around my workspace; yes, I am having trouble with my eyes because I have a lot of work to do and use my computer a lot and need an eye test so please can I have a voucher? [sigh] Then I got a visit from the Health & Safety lady.

She went through my form - "I see you sometimes use your laptop computer at home for 1-4 hours at a time."

"Yes, that's right."

"But you work full-time - are you expected to work from home?"

I looked at her for a moment and wondered how to phrase my reply. I settled for:

"Well, it's not expected exactly, but I have a lot of work to do and I can't stay in the office until late at night."

"Well a laptop's not a terribly good setup for working because the keyboard and screen aren't adjustable."

"No."

"So I'll arrange for you to be supplied with a better setup for home."

"But I don't have the space or a desk or anything."

"But you need to have a healthy working environment."

"OK."

My manager has apparently approved the request to provide me with additional equipment. I'm hoping for an airy conservatory with a nice desk, air conditioning and a pleasant view. What would have been better was my manager approving a request for less work...

2 Comments:

At 11:08 pm, Blogger chux said...

Right then......

I believe I can help a little with this one as I use a laptop at the office so require a "setup" to accommodate this. I do have a small external keyboard (known in the business as a shorty I believe), and I have an external mouse. The laptop itself sits on a portable and folding stand. I would definately recommend one of these as you can use it on any flat surface, and it also uses less space because the laptop is inclined rather than flat. It will be a pain to use an external keyboard but you can get smaller versions of these. In fact you can get a small keyboard with a nipple mouse built in like you have on the laptop if you feel that works for you. I can send you a photo of my setup to see if it gives you any ideas. I'm looking to work mainly from home as of mid next year and this kit makes it possible.

Although it is a pain do look after your health as i've had RSI and backaches come on much more this last couple of years. So i'm paying for it! GOOD LUCK! btw use the Voucher at Hennings and Hennings in Weybridge. They are much nicer and very thorough. Just dont buy any glasses from there!! We used them in the Sequent days and I use them for my daughters eyes. They are the best.

 
At 1:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do gooders.

hateful people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home